Boils are painful and can cause prolonged irritation. Learn how to use castor oil for boils and get rid of them naturally and easily.
Boils are a common skin infection and appear on the face, armpits, buttocks, shoulders, and neck. They are red lumps occurring on hair follicles and oil glands causing irritation and pain. Most of the time boils don’t require medical attention and you can treat them at home with castor oil. Keep reading this article to know about using castor oil for boils.
This article covers:
- What are Boils?
- Causes of Boils
- Symptoms of Boils
- Treating Boils with Castor Oil
- Prevention Tips
- Precautions To Consider
- Final Thoughts
What are Boils?
Boils are caused by bacteria named Staphylococcus aureus and appear as red bumps on the skin. They contain pus and become painful with time, so it is best to cure them early (1).
When boils mature they become redder, swollen, and develop a yellowish-white film on the top. Also when a group of boils appears on the body, they are collectively called a carbuncle (2).
Causes of Boils
- Weak immune system
- Not taking a balanced diet
- Coming in contact with harsh chemicals or irritants
- Not taking care of personal hygiene
Symptoms of Boils
You can identify boils with the help of following signs and symptoms (5):
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Red lump on the skin, which becomes painful and swollen
- Building up of yellow pus inside the lumps
Treating Boils with Castor Oil
The therapeutic properties of castor oil help in treating boils and healing them. It contains ricinoleic acid; a compound known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial action (6). This helps in breaking down the boil bacteria and reducing the swelling of the red lumps.
People over the centuries have been using castor oil to treat a variety of skin infections and ailments. It is effective, neutralizes the boil irritation, and provides a sense of relief.
How To Treat Boils with Castor Oil?
For treating boils you will need the following:
- Small Bowl
- Castor Oil
- Cotton Ball
- Take a bowl and pour a half cup of castor oil in it.
- Soak a cotton ball in the castor oil and gently apply it on the boils.
- Repeat this activity atleast three times a day until the boil is gone.
- To save time, you can prepare castor oil packs and use them when required.
You can prevent boils from appearing by taking the following precautions and tips.
- Wash your skin regularly with a moisturizing and anti-bacterial soap.
- Have a balanced diet and take an adequate intake of water regularly.
- Stay away from people who are suffering from boils to avoid germ and bacteria contamination.
- Exercise regularly to improve your immunity.
Precautions To Consider
Before treating castor oil for boils, do keep the following precautions in mind.
- Always use cold-pressed, organic, and hexane-free castor oil from a trusted source.
- If this skin problem persists then seek medical help from a dermatologist.
- Avoid this treatment if your skin is allergic to castor oil.
- Don’t cut or scratch the film of the boil.
Summing up using castor oil is an effective way to cure and treat boils. It is easy, affordable, and provides relief from pain and irritation. Do use it and let us know your experience in the comment section.