Is castor oil good for dry damaged hair? Learn about treating dry hair with castor oil as well as how to prevent them in the first place with our hydrating homemade recipes.
Many folks wonder about the properties of castor oil. One of the most popular questions they ask is castor oil good for dry damaged hair? Castor oil is a little miracle worker. I’ve probably said that before, and I’ll say it again! Whether for your hair, nails, skin, beard, eyelashes, and more, castor oil hydrates and nourishes with each application! Today I’m going to give you a quick overview of castor oil for dry hair.
In this article, you’ll learn:
- Why does hair get dry?
- How to prevent dry, damaged hair
- Benefits of using castor oil for dry hair
- Fun and simple castor oil recipes for dry hair
Why Does Hair Get Dry?
Capillary problems can affect everyone. Most of us have had experiences with either dandruff, itchy scalp, hair loss, and of course dry hair. In fact, the health of our hair depends greatly on several factors including genetics, bad eating habits and the products we consume on a daily basis.
Genetics can play a role in how much sebum your scalp produces. And the reason for dry hair is when you have a lack of sebum, your hair becomes dry. Once the “nourishing activity” process surrounding the hair root slows down, hair is no longer nourished and becomes dry. The opposite is also true; if you produce too much sebum, your hair will be oily.
Once your hair lacks the proper nourishment it requires to be healthy, your hair becomes more fragile and brittle; making it even more susceptible to further damage.
Unhealthy eating habits can also contribute to dry, malnourished hair. As they say, “You are what you eat!”
A third reason why our hair becomes dry is due to the amount of, or quality of, products we use. Big brand companies are smart when it comes to marketing their products, but don’t let them fool you.
Overdrying or using high heat also causes dry, damaged hair.
How to Prevent Dry Hair?
As mentioned above, there are several factors that contribute to dry hair. Luckily, however, there are ways to help nourish them with effective dry hair remedy.
You can help prevent hair from becoming dry (other than genetics I suppose) by following a few simple guidelines!
- Avoid overly-greasy, salty, or sweet foods. Not only will your hair look and feel better, but your skin and the rest of your body will, too!
- Check the ingredients label on your products. Too much use of chemical products on our hair or skin can result in permanent damage. Switching to natural products (shampoos, conditioners, lotions, etc.) will benefit you with both short and long-term.
- Quit the habit of straightening or curling your hair every day, and let your hair dry naturally! You can still use the hairdryer of course, and especially for a special occasion, but limit the damage to your hair by putting it on the warm-cool setting, instead of using hot heat.
Benefits of Using Castor Oil for Dry Hair
Is castor oil good for dry damaged hair? As you (may) know, castor oil is very beneficial for our hair. It nourishes the hair deep down to the roots and makes it long, strong, and shiny.
After each application, hair looks and feels much smoother and you will notice much less frizz and annoying fly-aways.
Poor blood circulation in your scalp may negatively affect the nourishment of your hair. By using castor oil and massaging it into your scalp helps improve circulation. It also oxygenates the zone and provides much-needed nourishment to hair roots.
Castor oil is an excellent way to restart circulation and rebalance your hair.
Among all the other benefits of using castor oil on your hair, it also purifies and cleanses. Fight off bacteria, help treat dandruff, reduce inflammation, and provide all-day nourishment with castor oil!
Simple Hydrating Castor Oil Recipes for Dry Hair
Now that we already established that castor oil is a miracle worker for those wanting smooth, silky and healthy hair. Let’s get the recipe to fight against dry hair! And prepare a castor oil mask for dry hair.
First, choose a second oil (in addition to CO) in order to facilitate application and double CO’s powers.
You can combine castor oil with coconut oil, argan oil, avocado oil, and olive oil, for example.
- For easy and effective care, begin by delicately untangling your hair.
- Then thoroughly mix the castor oil and the oil indicated above of your choice.
- Apply to the scalp by gently massaging.
- Continue to the tips of your hair.
- Wrap your hair in a shower cap, a bath towel or a plastic film to protect your bed linen and let it sit overnight.
- Rinse with clean water.
It’s as simple as that!
Find my homemade recipes below for even more nourishment!
Avocado Mask with Avocado and Castor Oil for Dry Damaged Hair
Avocado is a very interesting fruit in that it has incredible hydrating properties. Naturally rich in vitamins B and E, it nourishes the hair without weighing it down. In addition to the castor oil and honey in this mask, the avocado oil will enrich your hair, leaving it soft and luscious to both feel and touch.
- 4 tbsp organic castor oil
- 1 half organic avocado
- 1 tbsp of organic honey
- Crush the avocado with a fork or pass it to the blender
- Add castor oil and honey and mix until well blended
- Apply gently to the scalp and to the lengths
- Allow standing for at least half an hour before rinsing
Ultra-moisturizing Mask with Aloe Vera, Shea Butter & Castor Oil
If you want an even more moisturizing treatment and a very creamy texture, you can opt for this lovely hydration mask. It deeply nourishes dry and frizzy hair and protects them from harmful conditions.
- 2 tbsp castor oil
- 1 tbsp of shea butter
- 1 tbsp of aloe vera gel
- If necessary, heat the shea butter for a few seconds to liquidize it before mixing the three ingredients thoroughly
- Apply this all over your scalp and hair and massage gently
- Leave for at least an hour, if possible under a warm towel
- Rinse with lukewarm water
Final Thoughts: Castor Oil for Dry Hair
Dry hair is not inevitable and these different treatments can help you moisturize them to gradually have healthy, soft and shiny hair.
Take care of your hair and check the composition of your hair products, the problem may simply come from there. But in any case, do not hesitate to use castor oil for dry hair ends to nourish them deeply and especially to repair them!