Does castor oil kill Demodex Mites? Read on to know how to treat them naturally and effectively.
Commonly occurring on the eyelashes, Demodex mite is a parasite that stays on the human body and feeds on oils and dead skin cells. They are of two types, namely Demodex brevis and Demodex folliculoram. Many of our users often ask does castor oil kill Demodex Miles? And our answer depends on the severity of the medical condition. Read on to know more about Demodex mites and treating them with castor oil in detail.
Today we’ll cover:
- What are Demodex Mites?
- Symptoms of Demodex Mites
- Does Castor Oil kill Demodex Mites?
- How To Treat Demodex Mites?
- Precautions To Consider
- Final Thoughts
What are Demodex Mites?
Also known as eyelash mites or eyelash bugs, Demodex Mites are found on the face, eyelashes, and around eyelids. They survive by feeding the stored oil and dead cells and causes dryness and itchiness in the eyes. They are familiar with people of age-group 20-40 and tend to create major problems when they overpopulate.
Symptoms of Demodex Mites
The symptoms of Demodex Mites are listed below:
- Discomfort and itchiness around the eyes.
- Redness and swelling of eyelids.
- A feeling of burning sensation in the affected area.
- Scaly and dry skin, especially around the eyelids.
Does Castor Oil Kill Demodex Mites?
Castor oil is effective in reducing the growth of Demodex Mites, but only in minor or initial stages. Packed with essential nutrients, ricinoleic acid, and minerals, castor oil has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties (1). This helps in reducing the density of Demodex mites. However, more research studies are required to confirm this.
How To Treat Demodex Mites with Castor Oil?
To treat Demodex bugs with castor oil, you’ll need:
- Quality Castor Oil
- Soft Brush
- Cotton Ball
- Small Bowl
- Take a small bowl and add four tablespoons of castor oil in it.
- Soak the brush in castor oil and gently apply it to the affected region.
- Leave it for 3-4 hours and repeat this activity for two to three days a week for effective results.
Precautions To Consider
Before proceeding with using castor oil for Demodex mites, do consider the following precautions.
- We recommend using a cold-pressed, organic, and hexane-free castor oil.
- This treatment is suitable for minor or early-stage Demodex mites; we highly advise you to consult with your doctor.
- Clean the excess castor oil with a cotton ball to avoid the sweeping of castor oil in the eyes and ears.
Summing up castor oil is effective in treating only minor and early-stage Demodex Mites. If they begin to overpopulate or become denser with time, then we highly recommend you consult with your medical professional.