Bruises happen every time we try to do some adventure with our lives. Here is how you can use castor oil for bruises.
Bruises occur due to common skin injury and appear as a blue or black mark on the skin (1). They can appear while falling, getting injured, or being hit by something. For centuries people have been using castor oil for bruises to soothe the pain and get some sense of relief. Continue reading this article to know more about bruises, its symptoms, and treatment.
This article covers:
- What Are Bruises?
- Causes of Bruises
- Signs and Symptoms of Bruises
- How Does Castor Oil Work for Bruises?
- Using Castor Oil for Bruises
- How To Prevent Bruising?
- Precautions To Consider
- Final Thoughts
What Are Bruises?
Bruises are bluish and purple marks that appear on the skin. They happen due to internal bleeding of capillaries underneath the skin and cause skin discoloration (2). They are not fatal and generally go away after two weeks.
Causes of Bruises
There are many causes behind getting bruises, the common ones include:
- Bumping into door, bed, chair, or something relevant.
- Getting injured while playing sports.
- Due to muscle strain.
- Falling while running or getting a cut from a sharp object.
Signs and Symptoms of Bruises
You can identify bruises with the help of the following signs and symptoms.
- Discoloration of the skin, first the bruise mark is red, then it turns into blue and after then yellow or green after a few days.
- Feeling of tenderness or pain in the affected area.
The intensity of the symptoms reduces week by week as bruises begin to disappear from the skin.
How Does Castor Oil Work for Bruises?
Castor oil is renowned for its therapeutic properties. It contains ricinoleic acid, which helps in the disappearance of bruises with its anti-inflammatory action. The oil also facilitates blood circulation to quickly recover the discoloration of the skin.
How To Use Castor Oil for Bruises?
Castor oil improves the lymphatic process and helps in mending the blood circulation of the bruise. Here is how you can treat these bluish marks with the wonderful oil.
- Quality Castor Oil
- Cotton Ball
- Pour half cup of castor oil in a small bowl.
- Soak a cotton ball in the castor oil.
- Now gently apply the cotton ball on the bruised area, so the mark is covered well with a layer of castor oil.
- Repeat this activity two times daily until the bruise goes away.
Prevention of Bruises
Being common it is not possible to prevent bruises. However certain precautions can help in avoiding them in the first place. They are:
- Placing tables or chairs away from the home entrance and gateways.
- Wear protective gear while playing sports.
- Use a torch to prevent falling while walking in dark places.
- Immediately ice pack after getting a cut or injury from an external object.
Precautions To Consider
Before using castor oil for bruises do keep consider the following precautions in mind.
- Always use cold-pressed, organic, and hexane-free castor oil from a trusted brand.
- Though rare certain skin types are allergic to castor oil so do consult with a skin doctor before using it to treat bruises.
- If the blue or dark purplish marks don’t go away within two weeks with castor oil then immediately seek medical help.
Final Thoughts: Castor Oil for Bruises
Coming to the conclusion, castor oil is an effective remedy to treat and cure bruises. It helps in soothing the pain and relieving the symptoms of bruises. Do use this remedy and let us know your experience in the comment section.