A comparison between Castor Oil and Black Seed Oil. Dig deeper into the world of natural oils for your beauty and for your health.
In this new series of articles where other oils compete with castor oil, I am proud to present to you the wonderful black seed oil. This exceptional oil will amaze you with unique virtues and a mysterious side that I will unravel for you. Let’s discover this famous oil used throughout the centuries and see the difference and similarities between castor oil and black seed oil!
In this article:
- A presentation of black seed oil
- Castor oil and black seed oil
- DIY: Unique mix based on both castor oil and black seed oil
- My selection of the best black seed oil
Don’t have time to read? Check out this video about black seed oil benefits.
What is Black Seed Oil?
As well as castor oil, black seed oil has a very long history! It was once used by Egyptians and more generally in the middle east as well as in India. Recently, this oil is becoming more and more popular but its reputation is already well established! Black seed oil traveled through time and contributed to the well being of generations of people.
Black seed oil is extracted from black cumin (Nigella sativa), an annual flowering plant that provides tiny seeds that are beneficial to your health. With a spicy smell, an orange-brown color, and a thick and creamy texture, this oil is both a natural delight for your beauty and your health.
This oil is particularly rich in vitamin F (linoleic acid), in oleic acid and palmitic acid. It is relatively sensitive to oxidation, so it is preferable to store it in a protected environment under 68°F (20°C).
It’s one of the only vegetable oils that naturally contains essential oil. This makes its active properties even more powerful (this oil is indeed immunostimulant, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory). There are more than 500 studies proving the incredible effects of the black seed oil!
Benefits of Black Seed Oil
For your skin:
- Purifying, antiseptic and healing, it effectively fights against eczema and skin fungus.
- Antioxidant and very nourishing, it strengthens skin and acts as an anti-aging treatment.
For your hair:
- Fight against dandruff.
- Nourishes dry and brittle hair.
For your well-being and health:
- Anti-inflammatory, it is also used to relieve the joints.
- Orally, it strengthens the immune system and helps fight against allergies and asthma.
Castor Oil and Black Seed Oil Comparison
As usual, you will find in this chart a comparison between these two oils. Black seed oil is a very serious competitor to castor oil. Let’s see how they both do!
|Black Seed Oil||Castor Oil|
|Hair efficiency||85/100||90/100||Castor oil is leading the way|
|Skin efficiency||95/100||90/100||Counterattack from BSO|
|General efficiency||97/100||97/100||That's a draw!!!|
|Texture||70/100||70/100||Two thick oils, no a problem but harder to apply|
|Smell||85/100||80/100||The unique smell of BSO beats the neutrality of castor oil|
|Easy to apply||75/100||75/100|
|Average price||65/100||80/100||Castor oil is cheaper!|
|RESULT||81.86||83.14||One more win for castor oil!|
I have not been using black seed oil for as long as castor oil, so it’s hard to tell you the results on the long run. However, this oil seems like a great alternative! It is efficient and smells great… I can only recommend it to you!
It seems that its benefits are more targeted toward health than beauty, so it will then depend on what you are looking for.
Black Seed Oil and Castor Oil Recipe: DIY
Purifying face mask
Mix the following ingredients together:
- A tablespoon of black seed oil
- A teaspoon of castor oil
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 1-2 tsp of honey (mountain honey is my fav)
Apply it on your face and let it sit for 20 minutes. Rinse well and enjoy!
Aromatic bath for your hair (purifying, promotes regrowth)
Mix the following oils together:
- 3 teaspoons of black seed oil
- 1 tbsp of castor oil
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (see article)
- 1-2 tsp avocado oil
Apply this mix on your scalp (from the roots to the tips) and let it sit preferably all night by taking special precaution to protect your pillow and sheets.
Black seed oil for your health
- One to two tablespoons a day orally will help you strengthen your immune system and improve your digestive system. It’s a little bit the contrary of castor oil taken internally as it provokes a (too) powerful purification of the digestive tract if you know what I mean. Black seed oils acts smoothly for your wellbeing.
- You can either drink it on its own or add some honey for a different taste.
- Avoid drinking additional liquids right after, it’s important to let the black seed oil act.
Black seed oil is not a cheap oil but it comes with its perks, it works for your health! Here is my recommendation for a quality oil:
Castor Oil and Black Seed Oil: Final Thoughts
There is more to black seed oil than meets the eye. It’s a wonderful oil that is well worth knowing.
Black seed oil has complementary effects with castor oil and that’s why I was so happy to add it to my selection of natural products. As usual, make sure to use an oil of premium quality (organic, virgin cold pressed oil guaranteed extracted without the use of any chemicals). It’s especially important since this oil really reveals its potential once taken internally.
Thank you for reading and following along! Please let me know if you have any questions and leave a comment to share your experience with other readers!