Wondering can you use castor oil for relaxed hair? Is it a good option to soothe pain and stressed hair roots? Let’s find out!
Relaxed hair needs regular deep conditioning and care to retrieve the lost moisture and shine. If not taken care of properly, the chemical damage during the relaxing process can cause hair loss and thin-dry hair. Many users often ask us if they can use castor oil for relaxed hair? Is it safe? And the answer is yes! Packed with essential nutrients and minerals, castor oil is an ultimate solution to treat relaxed hair.
This article covers:
- What is Relaxed Hair?
- Side-Effects of Relaxed Hair
- How To Treat Relaxed Hair With Castor Oil?
- Tips To Take Care of Relaxed Hair
- Precautions To Consider
- Final Thoughts
What is Relaxed Hair?
When we treat our hair with relaxers or chemical straighteners, our hair becomes straight and relaxed. This state of hair is known as relaxed hair. The treatment is common among ladies with curly or wavy hair and quite damaging in nature.
Side Effects of Relaxed Hair
- It makes your hair thin, dry, and brittle.
- It causes hair breakage and increases dandruff.
- Relaxing can damage your hair strands.
- Chemicals found in hair relaxers may cause a chemical burn on the scalp which can lead to scarring or permanent hair loss.
How To Treat Relaxed Hair With Castor Oil?
Treating your hair with castor oil is an effective way to nourish, moisturize, and recover the damages of hair relaxing. It possesses anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory properties that deeply condition your hair (3). This makes your hair gain luster, volume, and silkiness.
- Small Bowl
- Castor Oil
- Lavender Oil
- Quality Hair Conditioner
- Take the bowl and add three tablespoons of castor oil in it.
- Heat the castor oil on a low flame and mix one tablespoon of lavender oil.
- Now take the castor oil in your palm and gently apply it on the scalp and along the hair strands from roots to ends.
- Cover your head with a scarf and leave it overnight so the oil can penetrate well.
- Wash your hair with a good conditioner in the morning.
Tips To Take Care Of Relaxed Hair
Here are some tips to take care of your relaxed hair.
- Prefer low or no heat while styling your hair.
- Sleep by covering your head with a scarf.
- Wash and condition your hair regularly, atleast two times a week.
- Drink lots of water and include Vitamin B12 in the diet; it’s good for the hair (4).
- Trim your hair ends regularly.
- Consult with your skin doctor and stylist before applying the hair relaxer.
Precautions To Consider
Please consider the following precautions before treating relaxed hair with castor oil.
- Always use cold-pressed, organic, and hexane-free castor oil.
- Make sure the oil is not too warm for the skin.
- Don’t over apply the castor oil else it will cause scalp irritation.
- Clean the excess oil so it doesn’t seep in eyes or ears while sleeping.
- Avoid this treatment if your skin is allergic to castor oil (5).
Final Thoughts: Using Castor Oil on Relaxed Hair
Summing up, castor oil is an ancient-old effective remedy when it comes to treating hair problems. Its therapeutic properties deeply conditions and nourish the hair. Do you use this remedy and let us know your experience in the comment section.