Last Updated on
Yes Sir! You heard me well. I did say handlebar mustache. This mustache that will bring you an old school sophistication that only real men know. This soft touch of originality will make the fairer sex shiver. As Maupassant, a famous french philosopher, once said: “a man without a mustache isn’t a man anymore”. In this article you will learn step by step how to grow this 19th century wonder. Castor oil will play a major role in the creation of this masterpiece. Learn how to grow, sculpt and maintain a handlebar mustache! You will also learn essential tips for any kind of mustache and finally, the cherry on the top will be a recipe of the unique homemade castor oil mustache wax.
Castor oil for mustache highlights:
- Grow it like a boss!
- Sculpt a masterpiece!
- Groom it like it’s hot!
- Make your very own mustache wax!
I. Grow it like a boss
6 weeks for glory
You will need a few weeks before reaching the required length. Patience and commitment are key success factors when deciding to go into the mustache (or beard) adventure. If growth depends on the individual, it is fair to say that it takes approximately 6 weeks before any styling becomes possible. Be brave, a glorious mustache is shining at the end of the tunnel. The reward is far greater than the sacrifice and the inconvenience.
Keep it growin’!
During the growth process, one should not try to trim his/her mustache (lol). Never! I dare you! You will need every inch of this beauty to reach the required level of mustachness. So yes, it tingles… but you will reach a stage where you will be thrilled that you did not give up before! Those tiny hairs rubbing your upper lip are very annoying, but do not cut them. They will be very useful to give your ‘stache some much needed volume.
Tame the beast
After a few weeks, using a mustache comb will enable you to train it. Your mustache has its natural implantation and thus its own way of growing. It is essential to train it to get the desired result. As it reaches a good length, one should try and comb it once a day. This little buddy should do the trick.
One does not grow a mustache easily. For those of you who would like to get less looks or remarks from your friends and relatives, there are ways to make it “blend in” better on your face. Try to keep a goatee or even a beard while you are growing the mustache of your dreams. Once it’s ready, feel free to keep everything or simply shave of the rest only to keep the cherry on the top! But remember,it’s all about self confidence. If you got the ‘stache, wear it proudly!
Here is another tip for you: use castor oil for mustache! It will help with both the growth and the texture. Apply a few drops of castor oil on your mustache every day before bed time (careful not to apply too much as the texture is really viscous). This will nourish your stache and give it a nice and smooth texture. Wash it off in the morning and you’ll be ready to start the day right.
II. Sculpt a masterpiece
Here’s when having the best mustache wax makes a difference. Handlebar experts recommend Honest Amish Original Beard Wax but if you want an even better product, you should try my homemade mustache wax recipe (at the end of this article). Whatever you decide, make sure to choose a great (and natural) product. Here is what to do after:
- When you get out of the shower, keep your mustache slightly damp.
- Apply a small amount of wax from the center to the top of your mustache.
- You can use your comb to spread it equally.
- Apply as much wax as needed to fix this ‘stache.
- For the final touch, simply curl and twist the extremities of your mustache.
III. Groom it
As you can expect, a handlebar mustache requires daily maintenance. Wash, brush, wax… Every single step is important if you want your mustache to stand out like it should. Yes, having a nice ‘stache does require some work, but what a great finished look. 😉
IV. How to make your own mustache wax (with castor oil)
There is nothing better than using only natural products for making mustache wax.
- 100g (3.5 oz) Cira Bellina Wax –> This wax spreads like a charm and will keep your mustache in place.
- 20g (0.7 oz) Olive oil
- 20g (0.7 oz) Hazelnut oil –> Olive oil and Hazelnut oil are simply perfect to seal the hydration and protect your skin.
- 40g (1.41 oz) Castor oil
- 15g (0.53 oz) Vitamin E oil –> castor oil and Vitamin E oil are the dream team to bring this silky touch to your stache.
- A few drops of cedar wood essential oil –> a woody smell, slightly sweet and so manly (like Ron Swanson).
- Mix the wax and every oil except the essential oil in a bowl.
- Heat up this bowl and mix regularly.
- When the wax is melted, use a beater to homogenize the mix.
- When the mix begins to solidify, add the essential oil.
- Mix well until obtaining the texture you want (should be pretty thick). This takes a few minutes.
- Pour the mix in the container of your choice.
Castor oil for mustache: final thoughts
You found the path to glory. It’s only a matter of time before you reach your goal. I wish you all the success you deserve after working so hard for a beautiful handlebar mustache. I leave you with this poetic note from this Italian proverb:
A kiss without a mustache is like a steak without mustard!
You now can relax, sit back and enjoy your handlebar mustache. This lil’ ‘stache will soon become your best friend and wingman. Wear it with pride and elegance!
In your experience, what’s the most difficult part of growing a mustache? Have you reached your goal yet? Let me know about your adventures, I always love a good success story!